Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Stop Pushing My Face

Why do babies like to push on your face? How do they know that it is such a clear and effective way to communicate? Imagine saying anything to anyone and suddenly your face is shoved to one side or another. You stop talking, don't you? I like to think of it as another way that a child takes ownership of the parent. The child knows that the parent belongs to her or him and so the child is free to do whatever is in their power to effect change in behavior. Granted, there isn't much a child can do, especially one whose age is still calculated in months. But when that little arm reaches out and those little fingers poke into your cheek as your head is forced to one side, you do exactly what they want. You stop talking or singing or whatever the hell you're doing, because that's basically what your child just told you to do. Stop.

I can't talk yet, but I know how important your face is in the communication process. So if I can manage to push hard on your face and move it so it's not facing me anymore, you'll probably get the message that I want you to stop doing whatever that is that you're doing. And If you start up again, I'll just shove your face again. I can keep this up as long as I need to. You'll get the idea eventually. Also, I pooped in my diaper, and it stinks. No hurry though, it doesn't really bother me.

1 comment: