Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Gator-Head Wind Chimes

I spotted a billboard along I-95 on my way home from work that boasted 'Gator-Head Wind Chimes'. It was for a tourist/souvenier/truckstop place along the highway. I immediately began to take mental stock of my supply of gator-head wind chimes, in order to decide if I needed to swing in and pick some up. It occurred to me that i have no gator-head wind chimes, so I considered further. I like wind. I appreciate chimes. I enjoy wind chimes as a rule. I like gators - including their heads. I'm not so keen on the head, once it's been separated from the gator's body. Then i thought: This was someone's idea? I suppose they thought - "These are some mighty cute little gators. If I catch them, I can cut their heads off, dry them out and schelaque them. Then I'll tie them up on a string so they can clank together in the wind and it will be a dandy thing to hang on someone's front porch and listen to all them gator heads smacking together in the wind." Is this considered a good idea? How many of the ideas out there are equivalent to this? Are there actually exhausted vacationers whose minds are so numb that they see GATOR-HEAD WIND CHIMES, and obediently exit to pick some up? I'm sure the gator community is not thrilled about this. Also, whatever happened to the old reliable oranges, sea shells and sharks teeth? Meanwhile, when you're puttering around inside your house, and the wind dances past your porch, please enjoy the calming clatter of tiny, dead, severed alligator heads knocking together in the breeze. Evenin' neighbor ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment