Sunday, April 24, 2011

Let Me Break It Down For You

I can change a tire. I can hook up jumper cables. Yep, that's all I can do besides pump gas. Wait, wait! I can refill my windshield washer fluid too. I do plenty of stuff myself around the home, but i'm not inclined to fix my car. I rely on word-of-mouth to find a good mechanic. My current "mechanic" is a chain that's close by and doesn't seem to rip me off. But how am I honestly supposed to know the difference? I don't know what they do with my car. All I know is whether or not it drives. Here's my beef: Why are mechanics allowed to charge more when they have to take something apart? Right? I understand the basic parts & labor concept - it seems fair enough. So why, do they have to explain to me that something costs more because they had to take it apart? Isn't that precisely why I've brought in my car in the first place? When a mechanic says "We have to take off the whole door panel" or "we'll need to remove the framostat to get to your timing belt" or "we had to dismantle part of the hyperbonic-turbo-incabulator to access your brake light fuse" I want to say "Yeah? So what! Does this mean I'm going to have to pay you extra - since you had to remove some parts of my car and put them back together? That's what I brought my car here to pay you for in the first place! You take it apart. You put it back together. You fix it. That is the description of an auto mechanic. That's what you are supposed to do!" Does a baseball player get paid extra for running the bases after hitting the ball? Should I pay an additional price for a pizza place to box up my order and hand it to me once they've already made the whole pizza? Will a lawyer expect more compensation for explaining the contents of the documents you're signing once he's drawn them up? I just don't see the justification for bothering to tell me what you had to take apart to fix my car - as if I'll then understand why you charged me extra. Don't imply that i'm paying you for doing two jobs. You're not fixing my car and, ALSO, fixing my car. It's one job. Please just fix it and call me when you're done. And if you repair the thing we agreed upon, then you did NOTHING extra. So if you're going to charge me extra, keep it to yourself. I'll stick with you as long as I choose. Although, I may stop respecting you far sooner than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment