Saturday, April 2, 2011

Save The Drama

I like old expressions, such as dude and bummer. I also like new ones, like peeps - and even newer ones, like belieber (believer in Justin Bieber). I am often put off, however, by blanket statements. I was taking a workshop on something or other, in which one of the instructors said to "save the drama for the stage." This is poor communication, a flawed analogy and bad semantics at the very least. I give those who utter this tired phrase the benefit of the doubt and assume they are attempting to say "please don't overreact without first having an adult conversation." Drama is being substituted for being touchy, over reacting, or complaining too much, or being over-dramatic. This is not what drama means. Drama has to do with human interaction and conflict on the tv, screen or stage (it actually comes from the Greek word meaning "action"). I realize that drama in colloquial terms often refers to people who have too many problems or complaints or perhaps a short fuse. That's fine, and is to be readily understood as such in context. If someone says something like "keep your drama to yourself," or "don't be so dramatic," or "ease up on the drama," or - something like that - that's clear communication. But, when I hear "save the drama for the stage," there is a clear implication that the stage is a place where people over react, behave extremely touchy, or carry on about irrelevant material. That's not what goes on - on stage. As a theatre artist, I don't appreciate the pigeon-holing of the term 'stage.' It almost sounds like "save your crap for the stage." Crap has its place, but not on the stage. I would like instead to say: Please keep your crap OFF the stage. I have a healthy respect for slang and colloquialisms, but I try to maintain a general respect for different meanings within different contexts. I hope this is clear. If not, save your complaints for the suggestion box, box step, stepping stone, stone cold, cold shoulder, shoulder the burden, burden of proof, proof of purchase, ...buyer beware.

No comments:

Post a Comment