Sunday, August 31, 2014

Give Them What They Want

This is for those of us who struggle daily with the desire to give our children whatever they want, even though they don't always deserve it, and even though they won't be duly grateful.  We're screwed, we're stuck - because this isn't going away.

We know they must learn patience, humility, cooperation, ...reality.  But sometimes we just want to give them stuff.  We are hip to the dangers of instant gratification.  We understand that, as adults, they will have to pick and choose among that which is available to to them.  Why is it, then, that we can have such a hard time resisting the urge to just say "Here." - "Here you go.  Take it.  You can have it."?

I decided to take it easy on myself and not feel guilty whenever I do give in and give my kids the thing they haven't earned or don't necessarily deserve.

I'll try to be wise and mature and hold back the constant urge to make them happy.  But sometimes, I'm just going to give them what they want.  After all, I can use a little instant gratification myself once in a while.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment