Thursday, March 29, 2012

Sharing

My almost 2-year-old has a very precise concept of sharing. Whatever item happens to be in her possession is liable to be shared at any given moment. Here's how it works: She notices another person and forcefully jabs the item out into the air in front of their face. The recipient barely has a moment to grasp the item before she snatches it back, convinced she's fulfilled the sharing requirement. She is extremely adamant about this, and if said item is not accepted for the brief moment, she quickly becomes insistent. "Take this thing from me right this second! You have to let me share with you, now take it! Good - now give it back right now!, right now!, right now! right now!/Give It Back! - What? - Did you think I was giving it to you? I was just sharing it with you. Apparently you don't know how that works. Well, I'm sorry. You have nothing interesting to say and nothing to offer me, I'm gone, and I know I'm not smiling (what the heck does that have to do with sharing anyway). Man! More people really need to get with this whole sharing custom." She even does it with food, which can be confusing. Sometimes she wants to show you up close the piece of food she's about to eat, and sometimes she's simply overcome with the urge to feed you. This involves her persuading you to open your mouth just enough for her to literally shove the morsel past your lips and teeth and then continue to stare intently at your mouth until you chew and swallow. Apparently, contrary to the popular saying - She IS the boss of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment