Sunday, May 10, 2009

A Gift?

I actually converted to Judaism today, in the salt water (and air) of the Atlantic ocean. After a year of study, I sat before the Beit Din, then we traveled to the ocean at Fort Fisher beach for the mikvah. It was a touching and fun ceremony - captured, of course, on film by Emily. I barely had time to contemplate this significance of my new status when I encountered an elderly lady. We had zipped out to a restaurant to enjoy a Mother's Day lunch, and a lady in pink shuffled by our table and plopped a tiny pamphlet down beside my plate and said "Happy Mother's Day, here's a gift for you. I glanced down at the gift and read the words "Back From The Dead" accompanying an eerie drawing of dark shadows, a yellow moon and the silhouette of an anonymous person. I practically spewed a mouthful of guacamole all over the table. The combined facts that she called it a "gift", back from the dead, and the fact that I had JUST completed my conversion to Judaism some how made this old woman's gesture seem hilarious. I never read the pamphlet, the cover was interesting enough on it's own to reinforce my confidence in my decision to adopt the religion of my wife and daughter. I wonder if that's what she gives everyone when a gift is expected...hmmm.

1 comment:

  1. Ugggghh. I cannot tell you how much I hate to hear stories like that. Those little pamphlets are called "Tracts", and they are awful. I haven't seen one yet that has redeemable qualities. Everytime I see people handing them out I am embarassed to call myself a Christian.
    There are some really awful ones out there, all you have to do is Google "Christian Tracts" and you'll see what I mean.

    ReplyDelete