Saturday, October 31, 2015

Guy Boy

It's the end of October, and two of my children are wearing costumes from stories that were first told years before they were born (Dorothy/Wizard of Oz & Childlike Empress/The Neverending Story).  I don't know why it works so well - but it really makes those stories new for me too.  Or at least it dusts them off and makes them seem fresh.  I think it's their perspective.  When they ask about the Munchkins, it really works to make that story new.  I can't answer most of their questions because none of them are answered in the story.  Who the hell knows anything about those people and their little land.  They are a completely unexplained phenomenon.  The Munchkins are a land of scenery come to life.  Every little aspect of them and their world is startling and unexplained and, well - basically alien.  The Munchkins are alien.  I guess this explains why stories with aliens are so intriguing.  The more unanswered questions, the better.

Unanswered questions fill the world of children.  Somehow this makes it a magical place to be, and I love joining my kids there.  Sometimes it seems like many of the things they ask are existential and perhaps unanswerable.  I love that this can be comforting to me, when it could go the other way for adults.  If adults can't answer a question, we're stuck.  We need to know stuff.  But we just can't know everything.  There's a ton of stuff that we will never know.  I want to feel comfortable with that.  I don't know, I won't know, let it go...

Oh, my other child is wearing a superhero costume he/we made up.  He's got a blue t-shirt, red tights with Thomas The Train underwear pulled up over the outside, and a blue magician's cape with yellow moons and stars.  On the t-shirt in big white letters is his name:  GUY BOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment